Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Who needs a schedule?


If my doctor told me I had only six minutes to live, I wouldn't brood.  I'd type a little faster.  ~Isaac Asimov

The writing life leads me down so many different paths. I recently took about six months off to try working at a "regular joe." I went to work in the morning and came home each evening. Working 4-5 days a week, 8-10 hours per day, I found that my life became routine and not at all what I desired. I am not a creature of habit, I soon discovered. Although I really enjoyed the client interaction and felt good about the work I was doing, the regularity stifled me. I know many people find comfort in routine but I really don't. I think that's probably common with creative people and it can cause a number of issues. Gratefully, I am married to a man who is as flexible as I am and understands my need to schedule my time on my terms. 

If it was a matter of necessity, I could do a regular job again. My work ethic is my work ethic. But using my time the way that I most enjoy...writing what I choose, when I choose means so much to me. I am extremely thankful to once again be in the position to utilize my creativity and develop a schedule that feeds that creativity.

I've read about many authors who feel that it's not possible to produce enough if they don't have a formal office, write a certain number of hours a day and operate on a defined schedule. Are you a writer who needs structure and schedules or would you rather write on your couch, in a coffee shop or on the beach? Where do you write best?

No comments:

Post a Comment